BACK TO BASICS Intensive residency program for all disciplines Arteles Creative Center in Hämeenkyrö, Finland 1 month periods in July / August / September 2019 DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 10TH OF JANUARY 2019 Read more & apply online: www.arteles.org/back_to_basics_residency.html Arteles Creative Center in Hämeenkyrö, Finland is one of the largest and most international artist residency centers in Northern Europe. www.arteles.org / email@example.com tel. +358 341 023 787 Hahmajärventie 26 38490 Haukijärvi Finland
Calling craftspeople and makers around the world:
International Kogei Award in Toyama offering €33,000* in awards + the opportunity to collaborate with craftspeople in Japan
Applications close 27 January 2020
Toyama Prefecture in Japan has launched the International Kogei Award in Toyama to create opportunities for networking and collaboration with craftspeople and makers across the world, and from there, to paint a new future vision for the world of craft. The awards are open to artists, craftspeople and designers aged 50 and under. It offers a prize pool of €33,000*, the opportunity to have work exhibited in Japan and to be invited to the exchange program and collaborative production program with local craftspeople and companies in Toyama in or after 2021.
The International Kogei Award in Toyama aims to:
· Comprehensively evaluate and encourage not only crafts, expressions and techniques, but also the ideas and efforts, strategies and practices, and future vision of each craftsperson.
· Reconsider the fixed concept of traditional crafts once from an unbiased perspective, capturing the global trends in crafts world that are becoming borderless and cross-disciplinary more and more, and create international networks and collaboration opportunities, which will enable us to draw a future vision of crafts.
· To provide opportunities for many people to learn about the situation surrounding crafts and new trends of crafts through this award.
Entry is free and open to craftspeople and makers around the world practicing KOGEI (artisan crafts), who are introducing the art created only by KOGEI, which consists of two elements inextricably connected – tradition and innovation.
Techniques and materials eligible to apply are: lacquerware, metalwork, casting, woodwork, handmade washi paper, ceramics, glass, leather, dyeing and weaving or combinations thereof. Other crafts maintained in each region of the world are also welcome to apply.
1. Application period
1 October 2019 – 27 January 2020
* Grand Prize (1 individual/group) 2,000,000 JPY (€16,500*)
* Excellence Award (1 individual/group) 500,000 JPY (€4,000*)
* Honorable Mention Award (4 individuals/groups) 300,000 JPY (€2,500*)
* Sompo Japan Nipponkoa Special Prize (1 individual/group) 300,000 JPY (€2,500*)
The Grand Prize-winning work will be added to the collection of the Toyama Prefectural Museum of Art and Design. Additionally, award-winners will be invited to the exchange program and collaborative production program with the local craftspeople and companies in Toyama in or after 2021.
4. Application method
Enter via the website: https://kogeiaward.jp/en/
For an application guide, visit https://kogeiaward.jp/en/application.html
To find out more about the judges, visit https://kogeiaward.jp/en/judge.html
Award hosting Organization: International Hokuriku Kogei Summit
Supported by the Agency for Cultural Affairs Government of Japan
* Awards are given in Japanese yen. The EURO values are approximate equivalent values based on an exchange rate of 1 EURO to 120.6 JPY.